Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Fearless

Recently I had a conversation with a friend regarding why cancer had given her a big scare last year and why her friend is in a reoccurring battle with the dreaded disease...questions like...if God is a good God...?? how do I manage the fear related to IT coming back...?? My words of encouragement like "God's purposes are at times secretive and unknown to us but his grace, love and mercy are ever present whether we feel it or not" were not cursory words said without thought or feeling but still seemed to be just words. I really don't have and didn't have any great answers but that conversation among others has caused me to do some very uncomfortable "fear" digging that is unearthing some of the why's and how's of my own fears.

One of the books I'm reading right now is Fearless by Max Lucado. He says "Fear will always knock on your door. Just don't invite it in for dinner. And for heaven's sake, don't offer it a bed for the night. What if faith not fear was our default reaction to the mole on our back; to the fear of going broke; being sued...? According to Jesus, this is possible. The one statement he made more than any other was "Don't be afraid." This past weekend New Spring Church showed this video of Zac and I'm posting it here for your and my encouragement.

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

No comments: