Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Communion Conundrum

Today as I checked on the communion supplies, as so often happens, I ended doing more than just checking supplies. I took everything out of storage and made preparations for a volunteer that takes care of assembling the cups in the trays.

As I was doing so I was struck by how nonchalantly I placed the little metal crosses on top of each of the communion tray lids. When I paused to consider this, I became aware that perhaps this nonchalant attitude is somewhat representative of my thoughts or worse yet lack of thought that is regularly given to considering the extent to which Jesus suffered for me. This cross that represents life to me and anyone else who is a follower of Jesus, this same cross represents the cruel death of our Savior. His blood was shed for us. His blood for our redemption...Sorrow for my sin and the sin of my friends has sort of wrecked me the past 24 hours...I can't imagine what Jesus must have felt like hanging on the cross with the entire scope of human sin weighing him down. 

1 comment:

Carolyn Miller said...

I looked at the cup this time and wondered if I was willing to share in his suffering. "Will you drink this cup?" I also wondered how much I hurt him when I questioned the power of my prayers.