Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Anniversaries

Anniversaries are remembered for a variety of reasons, I suppose. Some cause us to celebrate, others serve to remind us of a failed business, relationships gone awry, unmet goals and other miseries. We much prefer the latter, more pleasant memories, but if we spend any time in reflection, some of those miseries serve us in ways that we have no way of comprehending at the time they occur. 

In many ways we are never the same again when our paths cross with something traumatic but in the mundane, "normal" events of life; our tendency is to slip back into mediocrity and lean toward missing and not applying the lessons learned.

 And so, it's good to reflect again...Oct. 12, 2001...on my way to work at the Blue Gate in Shipshewana...6:30a...big weekend...Grand Opening...running through my to-do list in my head...oncoming headlights...head-on...lights out and the next time I become cognizant of my surroundings I'm experiencing excruciating pain and breathing like a drowning man but Brenda is there...comfort. love. grace. I find I've been life-flighted to Parkview Hospital in Fort Wayne with a dissected carotid artery, fractured hip, punctured lung, lacerated liver and multiple cuts and abrasions. 

After 13 days in the hospital I was released in time to attend my sister Marla's wedding for which I was incredibly thankful. 

Recovery seemed slow and difficult over the next number of months and when our dark days turned darker with the loss of my job, friends and family provided much needed support for which we are forever grateful. 

Recently I heard the statement "God doesn't consult your past to determine your future" which I think is true. The difficulty lies in whether WE will do the consulting and be defined by our experiences or use them for good. Now, a decade later we can look at 2001 as a turning point of sorts for us as a family. I think we love easier; forgive quicker and live better. 

Reflection is good...grateful to Jesus and my loved ones. 


  Our 1990 Acura with the front end folded like an accordion. The first time Brenda saw it after the accident, she said she felt God was showing her that angels were inside holding the dash from coming back into me.



First painful attempt at getting out of bed.
 Much better with Brenda, Cody (10) and Morgan (6) with me.

13 days later at my sister Marla's wedding. I still have that suit...wonder if it looks 10 years old? :)

2 comments:

Rhoda Wickey said...

I remember that day like it was yesterday. I was actually at work when I found out. So thankful that God saw fit to spare your life. You are an inspiration to me. May God bless you with many more wonderful years!

Gene said...

Thank you Rhoda.