Sunday, March 1, 2009

Responsibility

The following is a short excerpt from Mark Walz' new book "Lasting Impressions". I can't say I'm at the 'responsibility to" ideal yet but I'm committed to getting there. See more here becausepeoplematter.com

The Burden of “Responsibility For”

I’ve always cared about the journeys of the people I lead. As a youth pastor, I was concerned about “my” students learning, maturing and owning their faith. When I implemented a process by which adults could find and engage in ministry roles best suited to their wiring, I didn’t rest easily until everyone had made those connections. I cared about the job performance and personal lives of my team during the few years I spent in retail management. In early 2000, when I joined Granger Community Church’s staff as pastor of connections, I carried this same sense of personal responsibility for our people to connect in meaningful relationships, take courageous steps toward Christ and develop into fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ.

I still care. I still pray. I still feel responsible. But not as I once did. And I’m really happy about that.

It’s not that I care less. I just don’t feel responsible for our people. I do, however, feel responsible to our people.

There’s a big difference.

When I felt responsible for every person, my failure or success depended on their steps in their journeys. When I felt responsible for our students, I considered their missteps to be my fault. I felt profound guilt when people didn’t line up with what I thought they should know and do.

The Freedom of “Responsibility To”

Being responsible to our people is quite different. And incredibly freeing.

  • When I’m responsible to people, I understand they have choices. When I’m responsible for people, I think I should decide for them.
  • When I’m responsible to people, I know they must figure out their next steps. When I’m responsible for people, I try to tell them what their next steps are.
  • When I’m responsible to people, I know they must bear the consequences of their own chosen actions. When I’m responsible for people, I assume the guilt – or worse, the shame – for them.
  • When I’m responsible to people, I share their journeys, offering encouragement and teaching. When I’m responsible for people, I try to direct their journeys, never allowing them to wrestle, mess up, or make a wrong turn.
  • When I’m responsible to people, I talk to God a lot on their behalf. When I’m responsible for people, I talk to people a lot on God’s behalf.

God is still God. He transforms the hearts and lives of men and women. We do have a God-given charge to lead our people well. But it is not a charge to control, coerce or manipulate people out of a misunderstood sense of responsibility. Rather, I do believe there is a mindset, a way of thinking, that helps us lead responsibly.

No comments: